01-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #1300
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbagd View Post
2007 335i - So of course, I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator (housing was cracked and leaking) and the battery, only to have my HPFP go out a week later. Car just died in the middle of the highway with no warnings and it won't restart. Code is P142E $0018Pd (not sure what that $-code is). SES light came on too. Could it be the controller or anything else, or is it 100% the HPFP?

Worst part is car won't even limp, it just died on the highway while driving in rush hour traffic. Super convenient, super safe! I would hope that everyone that has a failure reports it to the NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If we don't report these problems, they won't get dealt with. An extended warranty up to 120k is ridiculous for a 13 year old car with a problem that can cause you to suddenly lose all power without warning.
How long should the fuel pump be warranted for?
Not able to limp home also means your LPFP is bad.

The LPFP should provide enough fuel to limp as long as you stay under 2.5-3K.
I changed my LPFP and regulator about 3 weeks ago and the HPFP right after that.
I knew they were all toast, but with a new LPFP, I was able to drive pretty good as long as I didn't push it. I could even keep from going into limp mode.

If done yourself, the HPFP takes less time than changing the starter.
I was able to do the whole job including plugs in about 3 hours.
DO not remove the intake. You just need a longer hex wrench and a way to add leverage.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0