01-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Wobble

So this has taken a while to work through but I am out of ideas.

When I swapped the run flats for normal tyres last year, at the same time, I acquired a wobble. It happened at around 50mph on smooth straight roads and you could see it manifest itself through the steering wheel.

You could see the wheel wobble a few mm back and forth at perhaps 3 times per second. Easy to drive through but there none the less.

I had the wheels balanced and then balanced again and again.

I had the tyres refitted to the wheels.

I swapped the wheels front to back just in case there was a bad rim.

I took my full size spare and swapped each wheel in turn just in case there was a bad rim.

None of this solved the problem.

I asked the dealer at service to take a look to ensure all the running gear was OK. He told me it was.

So the only thing that changed with the car at the time of the wobble starting was the application of non run flat tyres.

So I put it down to a mismatch between the Conti SP3 tyres on a 17" with a view to choosing something different next time round.

So that time has come and this morning I have had 2 new Michelin SP3s fitted. At the same time I have swapped front to back with the new tyres on the front of the car, all balanced and good to go.

The wobble is still there

So any ideas guys.

It feels like a balance problem. It isn't

Unless all 5 rims I have are not straight, it's not the rims

It's not a bad tyre

The dealer says everything else is good.

Any clues?

Something is causing this as I am sure nobody else on here has this problem however if I just throw this at the dealer it's going to cost a fortune especially as the computer isn't going to give them the answer.

Help.