View Single Post
      05-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #39
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Yeah, I took it around the track. I started at the back just to give myself some breathing space. They are strict on what you can and can't do to minimise risk of accidents etc, though at the end of the day you have no insurance. You get a good idea of how good the other cars in your group are the more times you go out. Got about 8 x 10 minute sessions for the whole day. Many there had a separate set of "slicks" for the track. The Audi club were represented by 2 new RS4s, a few R32s, a few GTI's. The HSV club had 2 maloo utes, a GTO coupe and an clubsport R8 sedan. There were a few 996 911's - Carerra, Carrra S, and TurboS (not heard of the TurboS). The BMW car club had one E46 M3, a range of modified E36 and earlier models ranging from 318is and a lot of older M3s. There was a 7 too. There was a 335 Sedan with Chiptorque chip and modified exhaust, and body kit. Can't remember the insane numbers he quoted to me on his dyno report, just to say that to him, those mods have made a huge difference. Didn't get a ride in his car myself. I left traction control engaged. I let the RS4 pass on the straight, then tried keeping up with him following his driving lines but he just kept gaining on me! (no surprise!) Some of the modified E36's did well to keep up with the 996 911's. There were hot laps given by the instructors half-way through the morning in the RS4, E46 M3 and WRX, though I didn't manage to get a ride in the RS4. The runflats handled reasonably well but I was told standard tyres will handle better. Oil temp got to a max of about 130 degrees. No fade was evident in the brakes. Managed to get to about 140-150km/hr on the straight. The Golf GTI's and R32's did well.
Appreciate 0