View Single Post
      02-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #47
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Much of what shah says needs to be taken with a grain (or pound) of salt, especially anything to do with understanding women. However, having read this, I have to respond: say he is suprisingly right on the typical engineer stuff. Been working with a bunch of them the last couple years. Gotta say, most (not all) of them are "special". I've worked with a lot of highly educated, designated professionals in a wide variety of fields over the last few decades, and while they all have their quirks, most engineers take the prize for being "special".

Even the senior project leads seem to think that the best way to be taken seriously when attending a senior executive meeting is to show up dressed like you've been camping for the last 10 days (with all the associated smells & stains).
These people are not paid poorly, you'd think they could afford to buy a comb or shampoo or even 1 half-decent "business casual" outfit. It's particularly fascinating to me that some in their mid-40's are in exactly the same place as recent grads are, in terms of their ignorance of how the real world works, and the fact that, for better or worse, how you are perceived by others in a professional setting can really matter.

If you are an engineer who doesnt fit this pattern, then you must feel like a black guy on an NHL team.

I was told that this joke explained engineers, and it took me a while to fully appreciate how scary accurate it is when it comes to their thought process:

Two engineering students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"
The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."
The second engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."
Appreciate 0