View Single Post
      08-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
FWIW, the only car that I listed that I'd consider a downgrade is the MS6. It takes a certain type to appreciate a hot hatch or a miata, but they are very well-respected cars by any true enthusiast.

I know we like having egocentric testosterone-filled conversations on these types of sites, but I'll tell you a secret: the 335d (or any other car not purchased wisely as an investment only) is very likely a huge waste of money.

Everyone here had certain priorities and decided the d was a good compromise of money wasted, performance, efficiency, styling, & size. But anyone who really only cared about how well a car handles would've never bought most german vehicles because of the weight, similarly, they wouldn't have bought a 3er if they weighted luxury or a twin turbo l6 diesel if they weighted efficiency, and wouldn't have bought any low end vehicle (sports, luxury, or otherwise) if they didn't care about how much money they were about to waste.

S&p is up 16+% this year.
Meanwhile, my car has depreciated 17% based on mileage alone (forget age) at 30kmi.
Total loss compared to market average is 33% (and this is assuming you can't beat the market)
...don't forget to add in whatever the rate of the loan is if you have one.
...and the operational costs (don't forget insurance, fuel, maintenance, car washes, etc)
...See where I'm going here?

Hopefully you can keep the d and it proves to be a wise choice, but try not to put too much of an emphasis on something that's costing you more than any other "asset" in your net worth. Don't be afraid to--in the beloved words of the Doggy--drop it like its hot when/if the time comes. You may miss the car--that's just how our brains work--but you won't regret the decision as long as you make the right choice (fiscally) on the next ride.

Either way, best of luck with everything. Whether you keep the d, rid yourself of it permanently, or decide to someday return to the group, you'll always be welcome here brother!

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0