View Single Post
      11-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #175
DeFKnoL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i X-Drive (E90) (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I would try disconnecting the rears (you lose fader regardless - just how it is) and If that didn't work I would try running the front signals into another set of inputs (5/6?) and test. If that's the same i'd conclude it's bad.
Thanks, VP. I actually did try removing the rears with the same results. I did not try other inputs however. But I have contacted JBL directly and they are going to give me an RMA# for a return. So I guess it is a scenario that does not meet with their expectations. I'll keep y'all posted.

Here is my summary review of the device for those trying to decide wether to purchase one.

I must say that as far as control and tweakability, I am underwhelmed with the MS-8. It feels like going from Linux to Windows when coming from the 3Sixty. I certainly don't like having to go through the entire setup process again if I want to change a crossover point. Also, I would like the power to manually change the delays where the 3Sixty does it . Another thing is that the MS-8 did not give the capabilty to change the equalization independently on each channel like the 3 Sixty does. If the 3Sixty had 8 channels and the cool Logic7 processing, I would have stuck with that. I can only hope that JBL will release a new firmware that provides these advanced capabilities. But therein lies a great aspect of the MS-8 - its software is upgradable. I did not see that capability in the 3Sixty.

If I did not like to tweak things myself, then the MS-8 would be perfect because for most people, it "just works" and it has a brilliant soundstage without too much effort.

So to summarize, my opinions of the MS-8:

Pro's:
- 8 channel
- Logic 7
- Great setup and calibration procedure with "Binaural" microphone
- Remote control that does not require the line of sight
- Excelent staging

Con's:
- Only one single graphic equalizer for entire system (no independent equalizrions for each channel)
- No manual delay tweaking (although the microphone calibration generally makes up for this)
- Required to pass through entire setup process to make changes to any channel (above just balancing and changing channel group volume)
- Tedious interface for setting crossovers (and only is main setup procedure)
- Large unit (physical size:8-3/8"D x 11-1/2"W x 2-3/16"H)
- Crossover points are forced to be in series with each other (HP, BP, LP filters cannot be set independently)
- Price (~$800.00)

Perhaps many of these cons may be removed someday with a firmware update. Until then, these are my complaints. Otherwise, i will still be happy to have the device for its strengths.
Appreciate 0