08-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
HoustonRed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
I have Black Sapphire Metallic too.

The main thing I can add is to be VERY careful about your washing and drying methods. If you pick up some dirt on your wash mitt and don't get rid of it with lots of water and a grit guard, you can scratch your entire car. Here's a few tips:

- The back and lower sides of our cars accumulate the most dirt and grit.
- Always use minimum pressure with the wash mitt and drying towel to minimize the damage caused by dirt on the car, wash mitt and drying towel. You can dry flat surfaces by dragging a towel over the car with no pressure.
- Use one wash mitt for the top and another for the lower sides and back, especially during the winter.
- Never run a towel over your car unless the car has just been washed.
- Wash the mitts and towels regularly.
- Use the best water you can find and don't let it dry on the surface of your car.
- Only "wax" your car right after it's been washed and be religious about keeping your wax pads and towels impeccably clean.
- Be very careful removing bird droppings.

The lighter colors are much more forgiving. BSM and JB require near perfect technique to look great.

I've had my car for 3 1/2 years and managed to keep it swirl and scratch free except for a few very light scratches on the back bumper when I used imperfect technique.

I agree with the other poster that suggested starting with washing and waxing and then moving up to paint correction.
Just checked this reply! I definitely need to take more care as you mentioned.
Wish I read/asked these earlier :|

I have this blot right in the middle of the hood. bird. *** dropping. Forgot to wipe it off immediately (not knowing the consequence) . When I got the detailing done (about 6 months ago) the guy came back saying that its gotten permanently etched onto the paint. feel like blowing my head!

still thinking whether to get the detailing done by the pro and then start maintaining well, or do the job myself. (close to 300 difference)

Appreciate 0