View Single Post
      06-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #18
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Hmm interesting. I also read that when you change plugs and coils, there is some adaptation stuff that needs doing.

Got my plugs and coils changed. No adaptation was done on my car.

Would be good to hear opinions of others on this.
I would expect that the ECU has sensible defaults that work with any new coil/plug if you reset the adaptations, then over time it learns the characteristics of the particular coil and plug combo and adapts the voltage and duration it applies it for in order to generate the spark it needs. These ECUs aren't like the first generation, where they adapt for a short time after a reset then that's it - they continually recalculate and adjust to suit the conditions.

If the original coil/plug was failing and the ECU had adapted to try and work around the problem by applying more voltage for longer, I can imagine that might not work properly with new coils/plugs and it'll take it a while to work out what's going on and trim back. However, if the car was running fine before, the difference in adaptations between the old and new coils/plugs should be minimal, so it'll fairly quickly get back on track with where it should be.

Sorry, a bit vague, but the summary is that I don't think you should worry if the car is running fine and not throwing fault codes.