09-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #21
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFTW View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if this would be a solution to the problem that I'm having with my 2007 E90 328i. I regularly track the car and before I could go for about 20-30min before the throttle would just suddenly cut off on me. My foot would be down to the floor on the gas but the car seems to be in a "limp" mode as it struggles to rev. No warning lights came on the dash but I assume that it would be normal for something to get hot over that duration of lapping.

After I swapped in the an LSD with high gear ratio, it seems like this problem has gotten more frequent as I can only last for about 10min now before the car goes into "limp" mode. I guess it's cause I'm able to drive faster and more aggressive now that the car heats up quicker. This is kind of getting annoying since now I can only get about 6 laps in before I have to get off which doesn't really give me enough seat time per session.

The dealership couldn't scan for any faults so I don't know what's exactly wrong, but I assume that the engine is getting hot and wondering if you guys had this experience before and know if adding the oil cooler would solve this problem.

Thanks!
I've had the same issue with my car, but to a much lesser degree.
My car would do the exact same thing you're describing after about 20 minutes on a VERY hot track. It wouldn't do it every session nor would it even do it at every event. Just random times. I never really figured out what the problem was.

I eventually got an AA tune as well and as far as I can remember, it hasn't done it since I did the tune, but I have very limited track time with my 330 and the tune since I got my comp license and started racing.
Appreciate 0