grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Running out of diesel is a serious problem because it is hard to prime the pump when after refilling the tank. Yes, that is a major worry and a true disadvantage of a diesel engine. I remember helping a friend after he replaced the head on a diesel Peugeot. There was actually a pump built into the fuel line in the engine compartment to manually get the fuel up there. I dont know about engine damage. Maybe the pump might get damage if you crank it a lot after running out of fuel... I dont recall anything in the 335d manual about what to do after running out of fuel, but I could have missed it.

I finally got paid today and took the check to the bank. I hit my reserve on the way home. My check should clear the bank in the morning and so my first stop is the bank auto teller and then a gas station with diesel. Next, Starbucks and maybe this frickin caffein deficit headache will go away. Sucks running out of money, that blue ray drive I bought turned out to be a big mistake.
I would venture to guess running totally out of fuel is a major concern for any direct injected engine regardless of fuel type since the HPFP are similar.

Pretty much everything DI has an in-tank lift pump these days to help keep the HPFP primed.
Appreciate 0