01-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
That'll be the problem. Just leave it on all the time, good practice and guarantee that's what BMW would say.

With auto-climate like ours, just leave the aircon on (snowflake symbol 'on') all the time as it acts as a dehumidifier too. It won't be taking much power if the weather is not hot as its just for drying in cold weather and the compressor will be off a lot of the time.

If I turn mine off it steams up in the winter too.
Really....is this best for the longevity of the system?

On both cars, air con isn't used much over winter, maybe once a month to keep it running ok, or if its really raining and does start to mist up

Cars are dry inside and dont have a problem with misting up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If you only use the A/C when you have misting issues, you will make it more likely to mist much of the time. Moisture gets left in the system.

You either have to use it all the time, or pick times when you can dry it out at the end of trips, and that takes a few miles.

Take it from a guy living in a high humidity environment. A/C keeps the car much drier. You just can't use it for a few minutes during winter time, without a dry out cycle.

HighlandPete
Thats what I do, turn it of half a mile or so before home and that seems to do the trick for the next journey.

I do always fight the air con symbol, when I press the Auto button (same on the 5 series). Wifey, of course doesn't notice, so she has aircon on more than i do.

Thinking i should leave aircon for both cars now