01-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #36
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin 335d View Post
how hard is the alloy trim to remove?
Assuming you mean the trim surrounding the gearstick, the answer is "not very" if you know what you're doing.

I found it the hardest bit of trim to remove though because it was definitely the firmest held down bit.

Make sure your remove the gears surround (with an auto this is easy, just pull the leather gaiter and get your fingers under it until the black plastic pops off - careful though, there are a couple of short cables linked to it, so don't attempt to pull it totally off). To conquer the trim, basically just a constant pulling up movement combined with wiggling is what works. If you have to use an implement, use a bread knife wrapped in sellotape. If you can get this dug under the trim enough, you should be able to twist the knife very carefully and try and get your fingers underneath. If you can't get the knife under a good 1cm, don't bother, because you'll snap the trim. Now you just have to keep working it loose by hand try and get your fingers under the trim and just slide your fingers along under it and other parts should pop off. Then when a bit of a gap opens up keep wiggling and pulling up+back and just use a bread knife (wrapped in sellotape so as to not scratch anything) to ease it off finally.

If you have don't have iDrive it is apparently easier, because there is the tray to pull on. I had to use a bread knife get my trim off, but i snapped a tiny bit of trim off because i didn't get the knife under far enough before trying to lever.

Last edited by Subzero2003; 01-21-2012 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0