View Single Post
      03-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #36
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Hi Gents,

here is a cheeky cut and paste from the 1Addicts forum, that may also be of interest to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Btw, I saw in the other thread that alloy is a no-go. Definitely going with anodised now.
I suspect you are referring to the below post by dzenno and my subsequent reply.

FYI,

the Meth' tank will be still be made of aluminium, the anodizing process increases the surface thickness, of the naturally occurring rough layer of aluminium oxide.

The carefully formed layer of aluminium oxide is substantially thicker and harder, making it very much resistant to Meth' induced corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno
Methanol is corrosive to aluminum and it shouldn't be used to hold methanol...the "right" way of doing it is plastic

Hey dzenno,

whilst I appreciate your concerns regarding the corrosive nature of Meth', I would much rather have a stealth aluminium tank in my boot, than a highly obtrusive plastic tank.

That being said, in an effort to further improve our products, I'm more than happy to listen to feedback from fellow enthusiasts.

As such we are now looking at "Anodizing" the "In-Boot Meth' Tank".

If this can be done cost effectively, the aluminium tank will now be highly resistant to Methanol induced corrosion.

It would seem Australian customers are far more receptive to our prototype stealth tank, possibly due to the fact that in Aus' a Police Officer would not hesitate to defect a late model BMW, if he knew Methanol was being stored in the vehicle.

Unfortunately that is a serious matter here resulting in not only a hefty fine, but also a loss of demerit points.