09-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #328
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-stoat View Post
Just had this emailed to me from my insurance company, wonder if they will refuse to pay out should my car go missing if I DONT take it to BMW to get the free upgrade?

Anyone know or had this done yet if it wipes a re-mapped ecu software???:

Dear Mr sucker

You may have seen in the news recently that some BMW car models are unfortunately affected by a security flaw. As a customer and owner of a BMW we wanted to make you aware of this so you can take the necessary precautions and help prevent thefts of BMWs.

BMW has advised that the security breach only affects models which were built from 2006 to September 2011.

The security flaw lies with the electronic key. A device now exists which enables its user to access a car's on-board computer and program a blank key. In the wrong hands, a thief can steal a BMW in just a few minutes using the device.

How you can reduce the threat of car theft:

BMW has announced that they will offer a free upgrade of security features for cars affected. Therefore we would recommend that you contact your BMW service department or your nearest BMW dealer who will be able to advise you further.

Visit the BMW website to find out more.

Yours sincerely

moneygrabbing insurance co.com
Foxy,
E-mail back to your insurance company with what BMW has issued in the media.
They clearly mentioned that it is 2007 onwards cars which leaves your car without any upgrade.
And on the other side, your insurance is clearly saying that you should have that upgrade.

I am not going to say a lot here, but yesterday I got a copy of this 'upgraded software' which BMW is going to launch soon.
I hope I get sometime this sunday to explore the files and give it a try on my car. Keeping my fingers crossed and I hope it really resolves this issue.

I will 'always' keep my OBD port disable / moved, as you never know that these gangs may come up with the new tricks to steal BMWs.