09-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #108
egregor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
I gotta call BS on the dealer for this one

Yes, there was carbon build up and yes the HPFP was probably toast, but saying the cats and the O2 sensors were destroyed due to the carbon build up seems like BS to me.

You should have had them fix the HPFP under the extended warranty program and taken the car home, had an Indy shop do the walnut blasting and I bet it would have run fine.

You could have even sold it privately and gotten more money than the dealer gave you for it. sometimes the problem seems insurmountable at the time or something you don't want to deal with, but if you step back and look at it there can always be another solution.

This and other forums have a wealth of knowledge that the dealers don't have or want to tell you.
I hadn't heard of it happening yet, but I could definitely see cats and O2 sensors being toasted by buildup, in the same way that never changing your air filter will. The car runs overly rich as the result of air starvation which directly effects the life of those components. The part that sucks here is that it wasn't discovered until a ton of other work had been done, which is kind of inexcusable for the dealer considering buildup would have certainly occurred by 90K miles.
Appreciate 0