View Single Post
      10-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post
I have the technic harness and already have 2 jl audio 10w3v2s powered by a Rockford Fosgate 1000bd amp in the trunk in a sealed custom box. Bass is good for 2 10's.

I have another amp leftover from the system in my previous car. Its a 4 channel alpine 3242, that outputs 110 watts per channel into 2 ohms so I figured it would be perfect to get a little more volume out of the stock front speakers and maybe even the center channel too. Front sound stage is my main concern. Stock is fine for the real fill.

The amp also has a high pass filter. So I setup the amp high passed at 200 hz. I cut the appropriate positive and negative wires for the front speakers on the tehcnic harness and used a cheap LOC to give a signal to the amp. It just really didn't sound that good. I got maybe a little more volume than the with the stock Logic 7 amp and got a little more mid bass punch but the treble and clarity was lacking and worse than OEM.

I'm thinking its just a limitation of using an LOC. Would a higher quality LOC help? Maybe a JL audio clean sweep? (I'm just looking for a clean signal to the amp and am not interested in removing the logic 7 processing - I find logic 7 on cinema gives me the most centered sound stage by increasing the power going to the center channel). I know I can get a digital to analog convertor to tap into the fiber optics on the MOST bus from the head unit and feel this would be ideal but expensive. I'm really not trying to break the bank and I was hoping to integrate the amp I already own to help my mids and highs keep up with the subs. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
If what VP Electricity said is not appealing to you then I may suggest going back to OEM amp power and replacing the front OEM speakers with the BSW front set. That should give you better volume as they are slightly more efficient than OEM.

The only add-on that I recommend for the Logic7 OEM amp is the underseat woofers/aftermarket amp combo. Anything else just does not sound good with the OEM amp being the interface. Too much processing going on.
Appreciate 0