12-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
Alpin3_F30
Euro.Techniks-EAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
I'm starting a blog about dying my black leather seats BMW M3 Cinnamon. This would not be my first time doing this, but it will be my first time using an air gun to "paint" the leather surface. Leatherique, the makers of Prestine Clean, and the world renowned Rejuvenating, also makes dyes for all OEM and custom color seats. I chose BMW M3 Cinnamon (Code 2092) because it's a strong permeating dye. My original choice was coral red, but red is an extremely weak dye and would be too time consuming considering I have a black interior.

To answer common questions:

If you prep it correctly, it will not rub off on your clothes
If you prep it correctly, it will look and feel like OEM
If you prep it correctly, it will last for years to come

The OEM color on the leather is "painted" on

So today, I ordered a 32oz dye kit from Leatherique for $95. I still have the following from my last dye job: Prep spray (really diluted rubbing alcohol and will remove the top layer of the OEM dye), 2000 grit sandpaper, a fine paint brush for the seat seams and door inserts, 3M painters tape, newspapers, and possibly 3 days of "down time."

Next up, I need to shop for a painting air gun from Lowes. Graco makes a nice one and others have used it in the past.

Updates to follow. i'll take as many pics as I can in case others have an interest in doing it, but here is my E46 M3 interior during the redye process from black to OEM cinnamon:
this came out soooo sweet! i have saddle brown seats and this color would be so easy to dye with the brown already there. i need to do this.