View Single Post
      04-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

As mentioned, the Volt can drive fine on the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine). Had to burn some fuel in mine today when I went for a 40+ mile trip. 3.8 miles on fuel and the rest on the battery. I have it charging right now so no more fuel today. I even took it on a 1300 mile trip and still averaged 37+ MPG. At home though when my daily commute averages 20 - 25 miles, I only use the battery.

Less than half the energy produced today is generated by coal and that is dropping all the time. The CO2 output is less from coal fired plants versus the fuel burn in the Volt when you consider the extraction and refining of oil to fuel. That is often left out when comparisons are made.

As for the person in the picture, must not want to pay for a room I suppose. Keep in mind that if that is a L2 hookup (240VAC), it almost certainly is, the climate control can be left on and the battery is still charging. Pretty uncomfortable though.

And yes, the Volt is ugly but I could care less. It is a appliance that gets the weekly drive done to/from my office. I Then get to enjoy my M3 at Atlanta Motorsports Park.
Appreciate 0