08-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
Why this pump instead of what the 455 that most use?
There are Pro's and Cons for both setups and I'm not here to deter anyone to use a certain method, so its really upto the person on what seems like the better deal to go with regarding price/modification. I'll go ahead and list what I've noticed between the three setups.

Walbro 455 e85

Pro's

1) It flows more fuel than an inline pump setup (600-800hp worth)
2) Its a nice replacement if you have a failing factory pump
3) You get a Year Warranty with it.
4) Its cheaper than a stock replacement setup at only $140 on ebay

Con's

1) It requires the stock basket to be modified and drilled.
2) People have had issues with the their custom fuel line hoses coming off the stock pump or venturi valve.
3) Requires more time to install it than a factory pump

Walbro Inline GSL392

Pro's

1) Simple install with oem connections.
2) Total cost is $120 with all parts (tad cheaper than the 455)
3) Replacing a dead pump is as simple as removing the bundy connectors and reconnecting them.
4) Its good for upto 500-600hp.
5) You don't have to modify anything in you tank, so if you oem pump goes out, you just pull the inline out and go in for warranty.
6) If the inline pump goes out you won't be stuck on the side of the road since your oem pump will still work.

Con's

1) Its not rated for e85 so if you plan to use that, its just something to know. People have used these for years with e85 and ive not heard of any failures yet.
2) It requires a little patience when reinstalling everything into the tank to make it all fit, but your overall install time will be minimal.
3) It does provide less flow than the 455 walbro e85 pump does and is only $20 cheaper overall, but (only $90 to replace them if they ever go out).

Walbro 455 e85 Sold by Shiv

Pro's

1) Provides more flow than the inline pump and e85 pump by its self.
2) Works with your oem pump, so you can pull it out if you need the stock pump replaced under warranty.
3) If the pump goes out you won't be stuck on the side of the road since your oem pump will still work.
4) Its a simple install just like the inline, except you get all parts from shiv and connects with stock connectors.
5) Is rated for e85, since its the 455 e85 pump installed in there special custom hardware to make it work inline.

Con's

1) Costs 5x as much as the Inline and Walbro setup.
2) Walbro made the pump for intank as the main pump, not as an inline. (not sure if this even matters, but good to know).
3) If you have to replace it down the road when it breaks, its very a very costly replacement.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 08-25-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0