View Single Post
      02-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Dumb Question - Battery Replacement

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere - I searched a bit, but everyone seemed to jump past the basics. I'm coming from an XJ Jeep so this whole battery registration thing is new to me...

The set-up: Pre-LCI 330xi, hop in to leave the shop (tire/wheel seal broke, I was leaking air). Start it up and it's throwing 4x4, DSC, TPMS, e-brake lights in yellow... the TPMS wasn't too surprising but with the rest I felt like a Christmas tree - nothing I've seen before. Weird.

Drive a mile home, park it, try to stop the gears in my head tallying up potential repair costs of an xDrive/ Traction system failure. Next day get in the driver's seat, interior lights are on, go to start and nada. Info screen has a little seizure, but no engine turn. (He's dead, Jim!). It's pretty cold up here, has been for a while - figure it's dead.

What to do now? I'll need a new battery - what's the deal on aftermarket? Do I need OEM or certain spec? I assume I can take that bracket off and install myself - then I have to register it to the car?

I piped up in a thread about a guy near me in Jersey who can do the setup, but I'm not entirely sure how or why it works. Can someone please explain? Thanks!

Appreciate 0