donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Those little LEDs look to be about 2.5mm square which means they are probably CREE XB-D given they specify CREE on the site. This is a relatively recent budget CREE LED which runs at about 4W max but good efficiency at 6000K (cool white). There looks to be 8 of them per lamp so that is maybe 32W each or 64W for the pair. They might be 40W each pushing it.

100W is theoretically impossible. Maybe they mean equivalent to 100W halogen?

Even at 32W each they are going to be running very hot with that little biddy heatsink and no fan (see my comments and caveat below).

In residential applications when 4 or 5 CREE XB-D LEDs are used in a lamp or other LEDs of similar size the total max power would typically be up to 10 to 15W and the heat sink would be up to twice the size with triple the surface area for lower power and of course much lower ambient temperatures than under the bonnet.

I'd be worried about longevity if you are driving long hours and sitting in traffic a lot. If not, at say an average of 2 hours driving per day you might still get a 500-1,000 days of life, instead of the potential 10,000 days. So it can just be a matter of principal and engineering something that is light for life or an "angel eye revolution".

Nevertheless, 8 x CREE XB-Ds running at 4W each is going to put out around 3000-3200 chip lumens @ 85°C (hotter temps will reduce lumens) which is still alot of light and I suspect up there with the brightest on the market.

Would be good to test some in the lab if anyone has them.

don
Appreciate 0