02-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #772
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy
So with 3 way front setup, T/A is achieved for SUB on Lo's? I didn't know what.

Well. I still think you should go for a trunk SUB and keep the underseat OEM woofers, instead of swapping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Thanks vithy .. for referring me over to this thread and for everyone's great input, esp kaigoss

One thing about this reverse polarity thing still confuses me though.. I didn't think it was needed anymore since he applied the Andy W trick of attaching the sub to the front as a 3-way so that it is included in the T/A. I read through the Scooby-Do thread and he said this halfway down:

From what i understand now, T/A achieves the same thing as reverse polarity by delaying the sound waves so that they arrive at the same time. Its just a more sophisticated way of doing it - e.g. DSP instead of swapping +/- wires. Plus switching speaker wires (reversing polarity) will only always shift phase exactly 180 degrees, while DSP T/A algorithm is (should be) able to fix any arbitrary phase shift for optimal phase alignment, correct?

If so, why would you still need to do it?

Thats like asking folks to remove the leaves from the branches first before you plan on chopping down the tree anyways

And besides... reversing polarities will fix the problem perfectly only if you happen to be exactly 180 degrees out of phase. If you are only 90 degrees out of phase, you will still be 90 degrees out of phase after swapping.
I second that. Trunk sub is the much better investment. Definitely do not get the Earthquakes!