View Single Post
      11-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #24
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
I've heard when you take your car for a warranty service to a BMW dealer, if they have some sort of software update, it will overwrite the current ECU configuration. Is this true?
Has anybody experienced this issue/software update with 2006 323i?

I spoke to Mr. JB, Service Manager from Otto's:
It will void the BMW warranty only if they can prove that the installation of the software caused a component of the car to go bad.

I spoke to WM from Turner Motorsport. He will refund $$$ and restore the original configuration if it doesn't work.
For one week without a car and potential 44hp gain, I think it's worth the risk.
What do you think, folks?

Thank you
I say that with that kind of a deal, you can't go wrong!

From what I have heard, it is true that if the dealer has to re-flash your computer for some reason that you lose the engine software... as and aside, I don't know if they can reflash the parts of the computer without reflashing the engine software if you specifically ask them.

Another part to the dealer reflash thing is that I believe major tuners like Turner Motorsports will actually give you a free reflash once or twice if the dealer over-writes your software due to warrantee work... you would just have to pay for shipping.

Dude, I would have done this by now if it was in the budget (wifey holds the strings tight)... I DEFINATELY think you SHOULD DO IT! They pay-off would be huge
Appreciate 0