12-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
UWE90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IboughtafreakingBMW! View Post
Yes, I have to move from Vancouver to Houston for about a year The good thing is people on the e90 USA Southwestern regional lounge are very nice.

I have to take my car (please save the lecture about why I did not wait six months and just buy it there and I know I would have saved $10k plus - I just really really wanted my BMW for the summer - yes, I have become my sister ).

I am trying to decide between driving down or shipping the car. The thought of leaving my baby in the hands of others make me terrified. But I am not sure about driving down on summer tires (due to mountain passes etc). But if I get winter tires then I sure as hell wont need them in Houston and how the freak do I get my summer wheels and tires down there without costing a fortune in shipping

Does anyone on the Canada forum have experience driving to California, Vegas, or Texas at this time of year?

Any help would be much appreciated...
Hmm I would say otherwise, and maybe that's why people make fun of me by putting a lot of mileage on my car. I've made the I-5 coast drive 3 times on this car by myself and I know every single portion of the freeway. However I've never driven to Texas since my home's in LA.

If you decide to drive the shortest route, which is like 2500 miles, you'll have to drive through Montana, head down to Utah, cross the Rockies in Colorado, and head down the Midwest to Texas. Even though I never drove in Colorado in this time of year, I wouldn't suggest you do this with summer tires.

Therefore, drive extra 300 miles and take the safer option, which is drive all the way down to LA on I-5 and head east on I-10. You'll only have to cross a mountain pass that might have snow on it at the Cali/Oregon border. If the weather is good few days before you make the drive, you'll have a good chance driving past the mountain pass without your chains. This option, by doing nonstop, would take you 42 hours on the freeway. Therefore, find a buddy and tell him to do the drive with you.

This is how I spread out the drive for the I-5 coast trip:

Seattle to Sacramento(because my friend's there and I can save on hotel cost) - 12 hours
Sacramento to LA - 6-7 hours

Sorry for a long reply but I hope the above information helps. Let me know if anything!
Appreciate 0