Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Yes...we are aware of where the "proper" locations are to hook up these items...as per the WDS. In addition, the pins you looked up may vary due to the month of manufacture. Don't panic. These locations I furnished in my first list are "easy" to hook-up locations right behind the CCC....they can be "tapped" right off the back of the CCC - I've tested them and they all DO work. However, when I do my retrofit, I will be utilizing the "stock" OEM locations (listed in my second list) with the correct wire colors (and correct guage of wire) so that it appears and functions as "stock." I have NOT tested these locations (yet.) Where you are stating to hook up the controller may be correct for the month of manufacture for the car you are looking up. I believe (it may not be true) that diagnosis if something should go wrong years from now will be improved if all items are hooked up in the proper location of the JBE. One thing though, I don't plan on tearing apart a junction to merely tap into it (like x9331) - I'd rather get power/ground at the source. Even though I want to hook up the controller in the "stock" location, the power and ground supply for the i-drive controller is not that critical (clearly it works just fine by tapping in behind the CCC as I have tested it.)

I am not too worried about IBS unless I hook items up in a non-stock location. When this retrofit is complete, I plan to hook these things up just as if it came from the factory. Things will go to "sleep" just like they should and not draw excessive current. While testing this system, I had it hooked up for several days - it went to sleep after 20 minutes or so (like things normally do after you leave the car) - no battery issues whatsoever....and this was not even in the "stock" location for power/ground. I'm not losing sleep over IBS - I'm losing sleep over VO changes!
I plan to hook up my wires directly to the cic wiring harness.. the lazy way, because why not? I'm wondering if I should throw a fuse on the power line going to the controller and CID. Just manually wire up a fuse in-line. What do you think? And what amp fuse would you recommend?
Everything you tap into power wise is factory fused already.

You can make the connections behind the idrive headunit for the idrive controller and CID no problem. Its still on the same wiring run so its fine either way.

That being said, adding an extra fuse can never hurt!
Appreciate 0