View Single Post
      11-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

Hi Gloss Black Grill - DIY £18

I thought I'd have a go at doing a Hi - Gloss / Shadowline grill over the weekend and thankfully its turned out spot on.

Total cost was about £18, plus a few bits I already had.

Before:

First step was to remove the grills, the bonnet ones need a star shaped allen key or screwdriver, the bumper grills need unclipping and a little force!

To remove stick your fingers through the grill and feel for the clips, they just need pushing up whilst you pull out with your other hand

I used Plasti-Kote primer, Gloss black and Super Clear.

First step was to sand the grill down with 80 grit sandpaper to remove the shine, I then went over it with wet n dry to make sure it was smooth. Finally I rubbed it down with an alcohol based cleaner to make sure it was free from grease and finger prints before drying it all off. I used rubber gloves at the point to make sure I didnt get any finger prints on the grills.

I then used the primer in short bursts, keeping a good distance away (20cm) and gave them a thin covering. I repeated this three times leaving approx 1/2 an hour between each coat. (The primer was clear rather than the grey I was expecting so I used three coats to make sure I had everywhere covered)

After leaving the final coat for a good hour or so I then started with the gloss black, following the same instructions. Thin coats building it up, in short bursts with a good distance. Leaving a good hour hour / half between each coat I applied three coats.

Finally, after leaving it for a couple of hours I applied the clear coat (two layers with 1/2 an hour between) before leaving it over night to dry.

Next morning I fitted them back to the car:

Looks good and matches the other black trim well.

The car is really dirty and weather was crap when I was taking the pics so it probably doesnt look its best.

All in all, pleased it went well and if I can do it, anyone can. Just take your time and have patience. Allow a full day as well, I think I started at 10am and was applying the last coat at 9pm!