05-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #226
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Did I do this right?

Hey guys: thanks for all your comments and this awesome DIY guide, I finally got around to do this mod. I need your assistance as I think I did something wrong. Please bear with me as I need to explain my steps.

After I swapped out the CDV with a modded one, I decided to bleed the system. I used the Bav Auto bleeder kit (along with a bottle of 12oz DOT 3/4 high temp break fluid inside the kit) pressurized to 20 psi. Bled the system via the bleeder screw/valve and then tighten it back up.

I thought I did everything ok. Before I put everything back together, I of course checked the clutch and break. I pushed the clutch with my hand and it didn't come back up. I also checked under the car and some break fluid also came out - the fluid actually pushed out the rubber nipple off the bleeder screw. I repeated the clutch action a few times, and every time it wouldn't come up by itself and released more fluid thru the bleeder screw/valve. Obviously the bleeder screw was not tight enough, so tighten the screw until the clutch action was returned to normal and no more fluid escaped the system.

So here is my question(s): When do you actually introduce air in the clutch system, only by swapping out the CDV? Is the system really air tight when you add break fluid in the reservoir? The way I see it (and I'm not mechanically inclined) but you open the system and allow clutch fluid when you engage the clutch no? Because I didn't tighten the bleeder screw, I thought I introduced more air. I took the car for a really short ride (it's really late so not much of good test) and it seemed ok, perhaps less jerky, however, the clutch does feel somewhat softer - it could be a mental thing, I don't know yet.

Am I all right, what do you think, do I need to pressurize and bleed the system again?

Sorry for the long ramble, it past 2 AM. I appreciate your input/help you may have...many thanks!

Cheers, and Happy Memorial Day!
Appreciate 0