View Single Post
      03-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #109
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
If you have seen the many threads in the past, there has been genuine confusion as to what actually happens with the DTC/DSC enabled/disabled.

This thread has brought up and, in the end, discussed the pros and cons of a lot of those issues. Anyone reading it from start to finish will be better informed. Which is much better than simply telling the OP he's an idiot.

D.
The very reason I've joined in the 'debate'. It is so easy to just have a thought discussed in isolation, to the rest of a broad subject. Trouble is we get used to 'bites' and that isn't good for rational decisions.

Going even further off topic, take for example the manual vs. auto, or diesel vs. petrol debates we have on forums, so easy just to take a small, often blinkered view and pronounce "autos are rubbish" or "petrol is the only fuel for enthusiasts", or whatever.

Take the autobox, when I've suggested in other discussions you need to "learn to drive an auto" what negative reactions that causes. But it is so true, how many who jump in an auto realise you have more control than you first think. Many don't even understand that you can initiate engine braking, or why a gear gets held on a slope, or why a box holds a lower gear when you release the throttle too fast, etc. etc.

For some, something like DSC is declared a pain, or an intrusion, because someone else says it is, the 'enthusiast' who knows. So easy for a driver to feel inadequate, because they don't find it so. I'm concerned as it may mean some become risk takers, just to prove their worth.

BTW, I like testing opinion, same as I like mine challenged. We can all learn.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0