View Single Post
      04-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #44
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Even Better, I read this when it was first published in Cycle World in 1995. I was in College at the time and I fell in love with his writing style.

Song of the Sausage Creature
By Hunter S. Thompson from CycleWorld Magazine

On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME."
Thanks, Revlis. Great read.

HST had an 'over the top' writing style where he exaggerated quite a bit. He wrote a lot about the Vincent Black Shadow in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Curious about the Vincent Black Shadow, I checked Wikipedia:

The Vincent Black Shadow is mentioned in works by Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Kingdom of Fear and "The Great Shark Hunt." In Fear and Loathing, the character Raoul Duke (Hunter S. Thompson's alias) talks about entering a Black Shadow into the Mint 400, a grueling desert motocross race. This is meant as comic irony since not only is the Black Shadow deeply inappropriate for off road use but even at the time of writing (1971), the Black Shadow was considered antiquated and obsolete.

Honestly, I doubt he rode a motorcycle after 1985. I've heard stories about his constant, debilitating inebriation. But I absolutely love his Gonzo writing style. If you haven't read it yet (I'm guessing you probably have), find a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's about the American Dream.

My yellowed avatar pic is from the CD cover of a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas audiobook, narrated by Harry Dean Stanton.
Appreciate 0