View Single Post
      04-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #20
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

I agree with Fazer, TrackRat, Dave and Highland.

BMW are well within their rights to look for a map/tune and throw out any claims that can be attributed to it.

It's fine if you want to run a tune but when something breaks because of it don't expect someone else to shell out for it.

Wayne, what you are suggesting is tantamount to fraud. There's no two ways about it. It doesn't matter how large/rich the organisation

As has already been explained, warranties ARE NOT FREE! The cost of a warranty is carefully calculated component of the retail price of a car. It's a gamble for sure but it's a calculated gamble based on various statistics about component failures etc. Sometimes the manufacturer wins and sometimes the customer wins.

E92Westy,

Say you're running a tune and a turbo dies. How would you go about proving that the tune did not contribute to the turbo? Now, you may say you're not an engineer but even if you were, it's a can of worms mate I can tell you. Did increased boost pressure cause it? Bearing problem? Lubrication problem? Manufacturing defect in the structure of the turbo? It's a whole world of pain. The cost of analysing the unit to figure it out would be pretty high I reckon. For what? Your warranty claim? Easier just to blanket state that any car running an unofficial tune/map is not covered for engine/drive-train failures (yes, gearboxes and diffs can be lunched by running inappropriate levels of torque/power).

If the car has no tune then it's easy. BMW are at fault and have to swallow the cost. The chances are they will run an analysis on the failed unit so they can improve their service/manufacturing processes.
Appreciate 0