zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Oh, I heard somewhere that an upgraded radiator also helps w/ keeping oil temps down (I do mean oil temps, not tranny). I have no idea how these 2 separate cooling systems can help each other. Can someone explain?

Your radiator is the first line of defense your car has against oil/car temps. The water flows around the engine block, picks up heat from the OEM trans cooler (If your an auto), then returns to the radiator, where it gets fanned down. In a Naturally aspirated car, this is all you'd need to keep the cars temps down (Oil, block, and trans). In High HP, NA cars, or Forced Induction cars like ours The small radiator is over whelmed. In FI cars like ours, the oil is used to cool the turbo's, which are spitting out 400 Degree gases headed to the intercooler.
The reason why lowering water temps can help reduce oil temps is because in our car, the turbos are cooled by oil AND water (correct me if im wrong). Also keep in mind when oil temps skyrocket, the water is also used to help cool the oil directly. I believe you can see channels in the oil filter housing where coolant flows beside the oil (saw these when Mr.5 opened it up).

Therefore, if your oil temps increase, your already overburdened water/radiator has to not only cool down the engine/transmission & turbo, but the excessively heated oil too. I bet youll see that once you pass a certain oil temp, water temps will skyrocket just as well.

2 solutions:
1. Keep oil temps down and hope that the water temps don't get too high.
2. Cool the water down and hope that it can also carry heat fast enough away from oil to keep it from getting too hot.

OR... you can just do both! problem solved
Appreciate 0