View Single Post
      08-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #248
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Thanks for the post. Zaino has to be ordered directly from their website or picked up from one of their local distributors. Unfortunately at this time they do not allow other US based vendors sell their products online. I'd be happy to recommend a package to best fit your needs and objectives.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or email with what you were thinking of picking up and I'd be happy to look things over and point you in the right direction with everything. This would be the best way to get things rolling and we can arrange to have the package shipped to your wife when she is in NY. To give you an idea on weight, typically speaking 32oz sized products weigh 2.5 lbs and 16oz products weigh roughly 1.5 lbs.

Look forward to hearing from you.

George
George:

Regarding an initial order, please see my previous post from today regarding how much I will be driving the car (when I get it) and the local weather conditions here. As far as detailing and car washings, I plan to follow all I have read (2 full details a year, and car washes every 10 days or so).

Assume I am starting out with nothing (except pails). Since either my wife or I are in NY at least once a year, I probably need to order only 1 year of supplies at a time (trust me when I tell u that my wife is not that happy about bringing this stuff back in her checked luggage). I hope (and assume) that most of your products are not flameable and can be packed into checked airline luggage.

The following is my slightly well read (your thread) but inexperienced guess for general supplies needed:

for regular detailing and Maintenance:

Washing & Drying
a/ a good car wash. Since this item may be the bulkest / heavest for airplane luggage, please recommend what u carry, and also recommend what good over the counter brand a developing country like ecuador may have. My guess is that this may be the only product I may try to buy locally (only because of the possible bulk and weight).

b/ towels and mitts for car washing and drying

Clay Bar – since my car is new, I am guessing one of the more milder ones.
May need something to spray onto clay for easier use.

Compounding (nothing needed at this time). Correct me if I am wrong.
Polishing – (nothing needed at this time). Correct me if I am wrong.
Finishing Polishes - (nothing needed at this time). Correct me if I am wrong.

All In One Products – Would need some AIO – please recommend a product. Also kindly advise if I were to do the cleaning and polishing in 2 separate steps, which products I would use. Is there really that big a difference that it is worth doing these steps separately?? (I am slightly lazy)

Glazes – (nothing needed at this time). Correct me if I am wrong.

Sealants – Obviously, this is one of the most important steps. Want a very good product for protection. Also need the proper applicators (if original product applicator is not good) and MF towels for this job. How is this “full metal jacket” stuff ??

Waxes – a good carnuba wax (unless your recommended sealant does not need it). Also need the MF towels for this job.

Spray on Protectants – I love the idea of washing the car and then spraying on extra protection / shine over the car’s detailing and wax. Also need the MF towels for this job.

Quick Detailers – please recommend something. Also need the MF towels for this job.

CAR INTERIOR: I am interested products for carpet, aluminum trim, and especially the new 335 dakota leather: need cleaners and protectants (I will probably use some old 100% high quality T shirts for these jobs).

Tires: I guess I can use the local Armour All cleaners and protectant, but not that happy about such a super shiny look on tires. Any suggestions?
RIMS: Would prefer big bang for less work (I do not see myself claying, polishing, then sealing the rims). Any suggestions?

Rubber moldings: I do not have the car yet, but I assume the folding convertible hardtop has some sort of rubber moldings in and around it. Can u advise something that will be appropriate for cleaning and keeping these moldings mist so they do not sqeak?

If I left anything important out, please advise.
You can PM me with prices and weights. Note that u would be sending my stuff UPS to NY zipcode 10019.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing your suggestions.
Appreciate 0