View Single Post
      04-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I don't know if your starter is bad, have just been searching the forum for threads to see what signs of a starter going bad are as I think my starter is on it's last 1k to 5k miles or so. Getting ready to drop the transmission, so decided to just replace the starter as well.

Bought the car at 52k miles, it now has 139k miles on it. I have been noticing over the past 6 months when it got cold here in NorCal that occasionally when I hit start it does one of these:

-Startes fine like normal

-Does nothing for a longer than normal and then turns over fine and starts like normal

-Turns over, but sounds like the starter doesn't have enough torque and is struggling to get the motor going on the first turn, but then it starts fine (this one seems to be happening more).

-Turns over just a tiny bit slower than normal and engine starts fine.

I've been paying close attention each time I start for a few months now. Want to avoid being stuck and thinking there were no signs it was going out. I'm sure in many cases, there were signs. My battery is an OEM BMW battery and is less than a year old and registered.

I don't see any codes thrown just using normal OBDii scanner. This starter has at least 90k miles on it if not 140k, think I'll just swap it out before it completely fails.
Appreciate 0