View Single Post
      10-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Thanks, Craig! I read Roundel as well, but only recently started getting it. I drive in the city mostly (Providence), and make occasional longer trips around the state of RI. No trips longer than a hour. For real long trips, I have a fifth rim that I can take with me in the trunk. That rim is bent -- I need to send it out for repair first, of course, but once I throw a tire on it, I'm good.

The last time I got a flat, it was a puncture and a slow leak, which I repeatedly pumped up until getting it patched. That seems similar to your experience. I also have AAA, if I really need a tow. Perhaps I should buy a patch kit and a portable air compressor like you have... do you have a recommendation?

Seems like you are riding around with an only marginally increased risk of being stranded. Slow leaks are treated the same way with Run-Flat or Conventional tires. The difference seems to be that if there were a catastrophic loss of pressure, you would be stuck (with conventional tires).

Like other people, I'm having trouble getting the rear shocks. I already received the front shocks in the mail, but the other ones are hard to come by.

Thank you again!

Alex

PS - You may have already mentioned this, but did you pump up your tires more than the run-flat spec (32psi front/36psi rear) when you switched to conventional?
So far I've never gotten a flat so I continue keeping my fingers crossed!

After talking to the mechanic, I would stay away from those "green slime" flat fixes. He said they make a huge mess on the inside and may affect our TPMS.

Are your rears on back order or are you still shopping around? If you're still shopping around which places have you contacted? It took me a month to get mine in...

Now about that tire pressure. YES, I had to pump up the tires and I learned the hard way ( here's my thread on the experience ). I now run my tires 40psi ( 42psi on the track ) all the way around. I was running 36/38, but now that the tread is on it's way out, 40 is the only way for me to get a smooth ride. Seems high, but their max is also pretty high at 50psi. I think that's due to them being summer tires with super soft tread ( I may not go back to this type due to the flat spotting issue )