02-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #24
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
That's the main problem. What subcategory would that be in? And since they're sorted by distance, not name, you can't tell if it's in that category w/out scrolling through the entire list, which could be long.

It's like finding a needle in a haystack, while driving. Hardly the best design.
-Mike
The categorisation and sorting by distance is pretty much the same as TOMTOM.

I would agree that the POI set up on the BMW system is poor - my main gripe is the inability to easily add custom POI's (although it can be done with some work) lack of audible warnings and inability to display more than one poi at a time.

I tend to use the poi's for instance to find a petrol station near my current position.

I wouldn't rely on POI data to find a restaurant etc.. If I knew where I was going I would get the address of the net before I left and navigate to that.

So why are BMW not bothered about the quality of their system vs Garmin or TomTom?

Because they don't need to be, they have a closed market. Aftermarket satnav systems have to directly compete with each other. The BMW system has the unique USP that it is built in. It just has to be OK enough that it's lack of functionality does not outweigh the advantage of having a clean dashboard.
Appreciate 0