deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
awd gives a plow feeling when taking turns as the front end grips with more and more load when breaking and so on which is why i hate awd.. but latly i have had the pleasure of a 535xi loaner(72k loaner) for my 540i while i decide what to do in terms of repairs and or buy a replacement most likliy an x5 4.8..

now to the 535xi.. damn the new xdrive system kicks some serious ass.. i was dominated a range rover while i was trying to pass at a red light from the right lane.. i mean he had no traction and i was going in 3-4 inches of snow going up to a foot in some spots.. i was passing everything.. going the speed limit where others were going 10-20 mph... then i saw a subi forester spin out ggoing down a hill and smacked into support struts for a rail road over head and totaled the car.. at the same time a loaner e 350 4 matic for an s55 in for maintenence and damn what a POS!!! even my father was like damn the bmw is way better than the merc.. in ever category.. i mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the seats, the interior, dash, shifter everything.. the steering, handeling, the road feel, transmission, acceleration, traction in snow, much much less plowing in the bmw.. the merc felt like a Chrysler.. i was extremely dissapointed in the merc to the point you have to be retarded to own an e350 4 matic.

back to the new xdrive system.. god dam in the snow it is awesome.. but is it really worth it.. the gas it used up was about 25% more.. which is nuts.. plus it wasn't as fun being an awd car.. too tough to kick out the backend and the added weight doesn't benefit anything in terms of feel.. i really love the new system much more than the old.. but it hasn't converted me.. sure if i lived in the mountains ok.. but in chicago? who the hell needs awd in chicago.. i get everywhere fast with snow tires in my 335..even in 6 inches of snow i have no issues.. i can still go the speed limit without fear of losing control. so if you don't need to go up and down steep inclines constantly i would say you are nuts to buy a car with awd.. mainly because of the waste of gas. and the fact your tires wear more and overall maintenance will be raised significantly. if you live in socal i think you gotta be on crack to drive an xi. but if you need an awd system i don't know many better than this new one from bmw..it was better than the audi i was in over the weekend.. we were sliding around on winter tires too. on the same roads that were worse earlier in the day when i was in the 535xi.
We already have awd. This thread is meant to improve the awd handling characteristics. Thanks
Appreciate 0