View Single Post
      02-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #28
bsp
Rep
Drives: E90

First of all, thank you all fellows posting useful information, or even bothering to try (TofuTurkey appears to be one).

I know and I use "double clutch at neutral" and "try 2nd then 1st", since this is not my first car (by far I may add).
But I have to ask: is it normal to resort to those tricks in a rather new BMW, like I had to some good time ago with cars one tenth the price?
If so, then it's the same '60 stuff inside a more beautiful box... I sincerely cannot believe that.

It's hard to draw the line between being a picky obsessed owner and being an attentively caring one. I found myself in both positions over the time and now I was just looking for feedback. I salute those who took the time to offer it.

I would like to also thank all posters inclined to lighten our lives with a joke, even if not a helpful one.
IMHO, pushing the lever forward (sensibly) without using the clutch will NOT grind your gears. In fact I guess many of us have already done that at least once in a more destructive manner, with the clutch half-depressed while rushing to catch a start or to shift a quick 2nd.
The "recipe" was not designed to cause a permanent degradation of 1st gear, but is a tested way I found to TEMPORARY reproduce the issue (something spacedogg unfortunately could not do with his dealer).

But I do admit my hopes were a little high. My bad.

Have a nice drive, y'all
Appreciate 0