09-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsinceday1 View Post
If you get generic aftermarket, make sure at least it is LIFETIME. At least, you replace for FREE (your labor though).

OEM to me is a term used to indicate original brand (as in BMW, in this case), but many time abused. OEM to me is totally meaningless. many off brand mfrs use that term/kick it around to impress buyers. Supposedto indicate that part was made to original specificationns, but rarely ever true/verifiable.

Means nothing. Only thing that has any bearing is the mgrs brand- in this case, BMW. period.
There are two terms. OEM and EO. EO means the part is original equipment and has BMW logos imprinted on it, which are generally on available at the dealer (for BMW). OEM means the part is supplied by the original equipment manufacturer to BMW. Generally this means the part is the same as that supplied to BMW, but without the BMW branding. Most parts stores call this parts "exact fit".

A recent instance of this for me was I needed to replace the upstream O2 sensor on my Wife's Z3. The OE part made by Bosch has a on-line price of around $200. I found an exact replacement Bosch part (by looking it up on Bosch's website) for $77 at Auto Zone. When comparing the two sensors they were manufactured exactly the same, with the only difference being the part numbers and logos stamped into the plug body.
Appreciate 0