08-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Small 335i Problem - Off Throttle Squeak

Hi Gents,

Inspired by a new members post I was finally reminded (at a good time) that I am having my own little problem which might be turbo/wastegate related but also might not.

So, this problem began immediately after fitting AR Design catless downpipes. It might have been happening before, but I couldn't hear it if it was.... So it's fair to say that changing the pipes has either caused the problem or (more likely) removed sufficient sound deadening (via the oem cats) for me to hear something that was always there.

Basically, if I rev the engine (car still, moving, at low/high engine speeds none of it matters) then about 2 seconds after I come off the throttle, I will hear an audible 'squeak' from the mid/passenger side of the engine bay.

It's literally like this rev... count to 1... squeak. It's basically like a little mouse - totally consisent, performance not affected (as far as I know) and definitely nothing to do with suspension, wheels etc because it happens even at still. If it is a 'structural' component, then it must be something which moves when the engine revs - like a mount or similar.

Any ideas? I thought it might be a wastegate flap which perhaps needs some grease/oil or similar? That could have been effectively 'wiped' off when the new DP's were fitted as the DTC box made it a painful, time consuming swap which was done largely by feel rather than sight.

Matt
Appreciate 0