01-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
@Shiv - Regarding the V5 beta maps, will the ignition advance parameter be re-scaled to accommodate the ability to advance ignition when conditions allow? e.g. meth/race.
Absolutely. Expect the most aggressive meth/race gas maps to target ignition advance values 4-6 degrees greater than that of pump gas maps.

Quote:
@Cobb - In your Stage 1 OTS maps, are you changing the tables of any features not accessible by any piggyback? e.g. VANOS
I'm not Rob, but we experimented with VANOS mapping (offsetting the cam position sensors) using what were unused digital i/o channels a couple years ago. Quite easy to do with piggbacks and stand-alones. Couldn't find any worthwhile gains. Other tuner's findings may differ, of course.

Quote:
One question went unanswered from all parties involved however; is it possible to monitor the knock activity of the hottest cylinder, which seems to be Cylinder 6? From my understanding, both piggies and even the AP are monitoring Cylinder 1 in their respective datalogs. After finding this bit of information out, I think many of us would feel a lot safer monitoring the hottest cylinder for knock activity.
Just as a note, I have yet to see evidence that cylinder 6 is the most knock prone. Nor do I recall seeing any failed engine tear downs suggest this to be fact either. Besides that, we just use Ignition Advance on cylinder 1 as a general reference for tune aggression relative to the stock tune. Not as a specific value to apply a discrete offset upon. So not monitoring each individual cylinder for knock isn't necessary unless you have a "bad" cylinder. But I'd say the rattly noises, copious oil consumption, loss of power, smoky exhaust and various DME codes would probably be the first indicator of such a problem.
Appreciate 0