08-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #244
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post

Now when you hooked up the power, ground and can hi + lo and you took them to the connectors on the JBE was this purely to keep it as factory as possible??
What I am getting at is if I hook up to the stereo harness it won't throw any codes will it??
Surely can bus is a network that you can jump into anywhere??
There is no way the car could tell it was connected further down the cable?
Yes - I hooked everything up to the factory locations to keep it as close to OEM as possible. I'm assuming you are talking about the CID. However, the car DOES know stuff isn't hooked up in the right place (at least for power, as I recall) --- When I first tested the setup, I had all the K-can bus connections looked to the back of the radio/CCC, and tapped power for the controller and CID off the back of the radio/CCC as well. When we changed the vehicle order and recoded the car, there were several codes, as the car "knew" there were "open circuits" - although I can't remember if it was for the controller or CID or both. I do remember thinking it was because they were not hooked up to the OEM locations. I don't exactly recall, but I don't believe the codes were set for items being on the wrong place on the bus. Now that I have things hooked up in OEM locations, those codes have not re-appeared.

The OEM location for the hookup of the controller (bus) is tapped off the same wires for the radio/CCC. The OEM location for the CID, however, is at the JBE. The car cannot tell how far down the bus cables you have tapped, but I wasn't sure if it could tell which "line" of the bus the item was on, as there are many "lines" of K-can bus wires coming out of the JBE (like a router with many network cables coming out of it.)

Keep in mind these codes didn't set off any lights, etc.. they were just soft codes in the car that we read after coding. I just wanted to wire the car in the OEM locations. If you tap everything off the back of the radio/CCC, it'll work just fine (it just sets soft codes which are stored.)

To answer your question, I think it WILL set (soft) codes if you hook the power up for the controller and CID elsewhere. I don't think that's an issue with the bus though.
Appreciate 0