01-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #189
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm000 View Post
1. the Lift: someone willing to install a lift in their home is MUCH more likely to maintain their vehicles well compared to the average person (people keep referring to lease for 3 years then ditch. That is the kind of person I am comparing it to).

2. Your commute is not hard if you are able to keep the engine running relatively consistently. A "hard" commute is someone in stop and go traffic for 2 hours a day in LA. Or someone that drives for 8 minutes only and shuts off the car. Those are "hard" commutes on a car and take their toll. I understand your point about running the car hard for a significant part of the commute and I wont discount that. Just comparing what the typical person's commute is and how that takes its cumulative toll on the vehicle.
1. But that's the point, with the lift I could have doubled or even tripled-up on the maintenance, but I've followed BMW's maintenance schedule almost to the tee. I could have changed the oil every 3,000 miles (every 5 weeks) with no sweat (except for a bunch of trips to the oil recycling center). Well, okay, so I have a pneumatic oil extractor with a custom brass suction tube to get all the oil out of the diff, where someone with just jackstands and a hand oil extractor may leave a bit more residual oil in the diff. And it might be easier for me to refill the trans without the chance of getting some dirt contamination. But I would think an owner with the desire to keep his car to high mileage would make sure the maintenance work is properly done and on schedule. Other than ease on my 50-year old body, I see no advantage to my lift getting my car to 200K.

2. Well my E30 spent 3 years and about 45,000 miles in New York city traffic and it lasted until 256K when I sold it to my neighbor, who drove it to 290K before he killed it. So you can call my commute what you want, but cars will last a long time regardless of their commute. Crown Vics last hundreds of thousands of miles as taxicabs and limos. Stop and go traffic is stop and go traffic regardless of the time you spend in it. Someone who drives 8 minutes should walk instead of drive.
Appreciate 0