View Single Post
      10-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #193
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post
So I got tired of the dealer not doing anything about it so I ordered a leak down test. I wanted to test performed on the cylinders are misfiring number 1 and number 2.

The results came back 3.7% loss on cylinder 1 and 3.9% loss on cylinder 2 BMW spec for healthy engine is less than 8%, so the dealer said my engine is very healthy and pretty much like new.

So I took the car back to my house and swapped injector number one with injector number three. I also cleaned them while they were out with gasoline as I did not want to use chemicals.

The misfire completely disappeared from these two cylinders however cylinder number five continue to misfire.

So I swap the spark plug from cylinder number five into cylinder number two and it follows the spark plug. So it's cylinder number two now misfiring I replaced that now known defective spark plug that I purchased new from BMW. I went and bought a new spark plug and placed it in cylinder number two.

The misfires completely stop! The idol is return to normal condition and the car drives 95%. However I do get random bogs at wide open throttle between 3-4k.

I'm trying to figure out if maybe the injectors could be the cause of this. I had to pull the injectors out with force they were kind of corroded in the head so I had to turn them in order to get them out.

Once I had removed the spark plugs and put them back in their easy to put in and out maybe they're not tight enough and there's a slight leak from pressure in the combustion chamber?

I ran Techron system fuel cleaner and it's still in the tank right now as I still have a eighth of a tank left.

I also clean my Vanos solenoids with compressed air From a hand pump that I have.

Any thoughts on my issue?
Check the gaps on all spark plugs. BMW 335i N54 Spark Plug Gap is .028.
I don't like the idea that one spark plug is brand new and the rest are old and possibly at a different gap.

As far as the injectors go I would reference this you tube video as it's pretty detailed:

You may then notice if you went wrong anywhere in the injector install. Double check your fittings are tight and to spec. Also make sure that the tabs don't break off when putting the injector. The tabs keep those injectors straight & true.

Apparently what is referred to as the PTFE seals are important and should be replaced when pulling injectors. I dont see many people mention that though. They are likely worth replacing if any injector is pulled though.
Appreciate 0