12-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
When I ordered my car, I first called and made an appointment. I had done my homework on this forum as to how Euro Delivery pricing worked, and based on that and Edmunds I came up with a target price. That worked out to be about $500 over Euro invoice, call it $5-6K under US MSRP. I went in for my appointment, sat down with the sales guy and told him what I wanted, and what I thought a fair price would be. I also made it quite clear that I traveled for a living, and while my preference was to deal with them (1.5 miles from my house, only dealer in my state), it would cost me nothing but time to go elsewhere. They came back with a counter of ~$1500 off US MSRP (can't blame them for trying). I thanked him for his time and left. Took about an hour for them to call me. That led to several calls back and forth, ultimately they got within a couple hundred bucks of my target, which was close enough on a $40k transaction. Not worth my time or energy to negotiate any harder.

In hindsight, I probably revealed too much by telling them my target price, but ultimately I was happy with the price I paid. You can probably do better on a car that has been sitting on the lot for a while, or whatever. In early 2011, the only factory incentive on a purchase was exceptionally cheap financing, I got .9% for five years.

One thing that impressed me is that we agreed on a price a couple days before BMW messed around with MSRP in March 2011, but I had nothing signed. The changes would have resulted in a nearly $1000 price increase, but my dealer did not even try to go back on the deal. Several folks on this forum had dealers try to screw with them over this.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0