MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I agree with you.
But, what I don't agree with is that "a tune will not help at Laguna Seca."

The best thing that I learned was from leftcoastman, and that was "learn on street tires." I was seriously thinking of getting the NT-01s for my track tires, but leftcoastman was very adimant against the purchase because R comps mask mistakes.
I'm sure if I had the LSD, things would have been a little easier to control as well, but all in all, I'm happy for my overall 3rd track day.

I'm sure your times will increase a good amount with a tune. Especially since you have the BBK and the LSD to go with it.
I guess it comes down to what do you mean by "help" I find it best, and safest to check my ego at the paddock, there are no trophies but there are tow trucks and ambulances. If you are looking to brag about hanging with an M3 up the hill or whatever then a tune will "help" but it won't mean you are a better driver, and it won't help you become a better driver. It will give you more speed with which you can make bigger errors, and it will wear out your tires a brakes faster.

The last (and only) time I was at Laguna, I decided it would be a good idea to follow a track prepped Miata that was on sticky rubber. I was in a much faster car then he was, but I got to see the line he was using and improve my driving instead of just blowing him into the weeds on a straightaway.

Another thing that is fun about being in a less powerful car is setting up your corner so you can get a good drive out of the corner and get past a more powerful car on a straightaway just with good technique. Up at Thunderhill there was a guy in a Supercharged Mustang that I was stuck behind because he was a corner to corner drag racer and probably had 150hp more then me, but I was able to set up my corner carry lots of momentum through and pass him by the end of a long straightaway...which felt good.
Appreciate 0