07-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Electric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12 View Post
I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 328i in Illinois about two months ago. I noticed the windshield wiper fluid kept emptying out after about 3 weeks, so I took it to a dealer (not the one I bought it from) and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. They refilled the tank and it emptied out again in 2 weeks.

Earlier today, I took my car to a different dealer and he said the car had been in an accident before. He also said BMW may not replace the part since it had been replaced and painted over. I wasn't aware of the face that the car had been in an accident at the time of purchase. In the end, the wiper fluid leak hasn't been fixed because I didn't want to end up paying out of pocket.

I'm planning on going back to the dealer I purchased the car from. Before I go see them, I'd like to learn more about accidents and CPO. I understand a BMW won't get certified if it had been in a "major accident". But, I don't know what's considered a major accident.

Please help me understand CPO a little better. It seems like the dealership/bmw should be responsible for fixing something that was broken when I got the car. Especially with the CPO warranty. I can use some feedback on this issue before I go see them.

Thanks

Keep in mind it could have been certified before the accident, then someone traded it in (the CPO doesnt disappear, it just ends at the end of the CPO term!). Have someone experienced check out the car, they can usually tell the extent of the damage. When I was searching for 2007 CPOs I noticed a couple were in accidents.