2015 i3 REx  [0.00]
2011 BMW E90 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Two observations thus far. 1) For the first time ever my car stalled. I have no idea if the stall was related to the HPR fuel or was due, say, to my EGR block. That said, I have been running my EGR plates for six weeks without any incidents. I ran Carly post stall and only got the usual EGR related codes. In short, the only thing that changed was the fuel.

Good news, I have had fewer regens. That has to be related to the fuel. For the first time ever, I went through an entire tank of diesel without a regen.
I express no opinion as to the likelihood, but there is a theory that would cover both.

The combustion byproducts of HPR are different from those of D2 and regens are triggered by the DDE based on measurements expected from D2 combustion. Thus, a certain measurement may be lower running HPR and yet total particulate matter may remain the same or higher. Thus, DPF may need regens just as often, but are not triggered by the HPR combustion byproducts. Backpressure in the DPF could then be causing combustion issues including stalls.

Not saying its the case but its plausible.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing. For example, a regen kicked off today but I noticed that the soot mass as measured by Carly did not drop as much as it usually does after a regen, e.g., 6 grams of soot vs 2 grams. I am beginning to have some vague concerns for those of us with mostly intact emission systems and introducing a new variable to the mix.
Hmm... I hope this doesn't make things worse.

Regarding HPR triggering regents less despite having same or more soot clogging up the filter, I don't buy it. This stuff is shown to produce significantly less particular matter than D2.

Do we know exactly what triggers a regen? How is PM mass measured?