Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by auger330 View Post
I could have posted this to the latest battery registration debate thread but I thought it'd get lost among all the pages and would be useless to future searchers. I thought it was important so I'm starting a new thread.

I just came back from the dealership where they ran a full diagnostic check for errors in the my car (I have a grabby brake issue that still has yet to be resolved). Two weeks ago, I replaced my oem battery w/ an autozone battery and i decided not to register it. In my research, I didn't find any evidence that it was worthwhile to pay $100 for registering a battery and everything I found on the forum was conjecture. Even my SA said it wasn't really necessary for a 3 series (though the 5 and 7 series have heavier electronics so it's necessary for them, he said).

In the latest battery debate thread, I argued pretty strongly that registration is a fool's expense. After seeing my diagnostic report, I'm inserting my foot in my mouth. The report was riddled with low voltage errors on several different components due to the non-registration. They registered it and the errors disappeared. Even better, the car actually feels better (could be the placebo effect but it just feels peppier).

So that seems like pretty strong evidence that registration is worthwhile. It's worth $100 to ensure voltage is correct. By the way, the use of a lead acid battery isn't an issue. The AGM battery is good if you're worried about venting.

Now I just have to figure out this damn grabby brake...
Here's a short tech article I posted a whole back on AGM batteries and registration: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=24

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0