02-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #46
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins

Here is a shot that I took of my daughter playing basketball indoors. Lighting was very difficult, and combined with slow glass, meant I had to run at ISO 3200.
Your results are perfectly acceptable for the lens you were using and the conditions at hand. Not the best but the 18-200mm is a not a sports lens, so don't try any make it into one.

If you are going to shoot sports use a fast lens designed for action photography.

Not a fan of Tamron lenses. Nikon make excellent lenses and they have always served me well without any problems.

Quote:
For the next game, I think I'm going to rent the 70-200 VR f/2.8 and also play with the autofocus settings. I was shooting in single point AF mode, which may not have been the right choice.
Your results will be better, but be prepared to not be content on using your 18-200mm for action ever again after trying the Nikon 70-200mm/F2.8 for the first time will change your reference standards and what you consider a good lens is.

Quote:
I've got one (Bogen 3021), but I'd really like to get a Gitzo CF to get the weight down. I find that I don't bring the tripod along because it is relatively heavy....
The Bogen 3021 is a good tripod, great purchase. For stability, you actually want a heavy tripod, not a light weight one.

99% of sports shooters use a monopod, not a tripod.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0