11-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
enron29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMX328 View Post
If it's listed in California law, then by all means.

Honestly, I'd be curious as to if she's hiding something, if she's so protective/secretive over the whole thing.
I know. It's weird because I know she's already moved out. She even sent a text that she was having the carpets cleaned and hoped that didn't interfere with showing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Do you have a written or oral agreement with the tenant? By law, the tenant can stay there until the end of the written agreement. If you have an oral agreement, then you may be able to get your place back sooner.

Check this out. It's written by the state of California.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf
Yes, we have a written agreement. I'm not trying to fill it with a new tenant right now. I'm trying to get a realtor in there to take pictures and put a lock box on to put it on the MLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
Typically there is a clause that says the owner can enter with 24 hour notice. It's normal to show the place when the lease is almost over.
We have let her know that since she has moved out that we are showing the property to prospective tenants. We have always texted her to let her know, even though she is not even at the home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Fuck her, it's your property.

Here is the law for California:

It all starts on page 33 of this document: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...ok/index.shtml
Exactly what I found. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
keep her security deposit for good measure.
Wish I could, but I guarantee if I kept just a nickle of her deposit she would fight to the bitter end. She is so paranoid about getting her deposit like my wife and I are trying to scam her. I have her full deposit sitting in a savings account this whole time. But now she is costing me money cause the realtor doesn't want to go out there and put a lock box on if she's giving a hard time about showing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Did she sign a rental agreement with you? Usually most landlords put a clause in the agreement saying they can show the unit as long as the tenant is given notice.
Yes. We do have this in our contract. She was allowing us to show it, but now she's saying we can't enter until after she turns over the keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I was just about to say what Seminole posted, You are allow to show the property with proper notice to the current tenant. The tenant can not refuse your request to show the property and as someone else pointed out, you can also require them to keep the property in a show-able condition otherwise they may forfeit their security deposit. That one may depend on the contract you have with them.

I hate to say this, when you own rental property you just have to be an ruthless asshole and not care about people since they will screw you and blame you for trusting them. This is why I do not own rentals, I actually care about most people and care about what I own.
I'm over being the nice guy. But I don't really have legal fees set up or time if she tries to pull something. I don't understand what the hell she would get. She has moved out and there is only 5 days left on the contract. I am just trying to get a realtor in there to start showing the place. But now she said, and I quote this, "you are welcome to enter the property at anytime beginning November 21st", which is the day after the lease agreement ends.
Appreciate 0